Saturday, September 13, 2008

August trip to Washington!







Dave and I had a blast at the Mann family Reunion in Washington State. Along with hanging out with the fam we went on my first backpacking and camping trip. While I wouldn't want to do it every week, or month it was nice to be in nature and do nothing. My biggest freak out moment wasn't hiking in with a heavy pack, not going to the bathroom (little and big poddy) in the woods, not seeing a rattlesnake, not eating food with grit in it but crossing a freaking cold stream. We were on a day hike and had crossed a log to check out the other side of the water and continued to hike a distance that there was no going back to the log. As we tried to find somewhere to cross the rocks were too spread apart, but when we looked ahead it looked like the rocks were closer together. All of that looking ahead was like a mirage, the rocks were never as close together as we thought when we approached them. So Dave and Mark decided we were going to cross and we all took our shoes and socks off... Dave went first very cautiously placing each foot so he wouldn't slip on a mossy rock. I put my feet in and about died, there was no way I was getting across!I took a few steps and then lunged for the next big rock to sit on and pull my feet up. Mark was quite tolerant of my ravings about the water. I finally went and ran like heck. Then Mark cruised across after me without complaint. So the story is kind of weak but looking back it was pretty funny to see how each of our personalities were magnified by crossing the stream... (backpacking pictures still to come)

5 comments:

Katy said...

I still think you're brave for even going on the backpacking trip...so yay for only one freak out!!! I love the picture of you and Kylie. Also, I love the picture of Dave playing horseshoes...so serious! You guys look cute in the back of the model A.

Marti said...

So much fun! I can just imagine you running through that cold water, although I'm sure you did it very gracefully..more like a dancer than a whimp!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you guys had fun. Minus the whole river thing. haha! I'm impressed with your bravery - sounds like the backpacking trip was quite the adventure. Email me some more pics when you can! :)

Scott and Elly said...

Looks like you guys had a fun trip! We floated the freezing cold Umpqua River in Oregon and I about froze getting in and out too. I feel your pain sista! PS love the new background:)

Smiths said...

Janie, You're a beast!!!
I wish I could have seen your face though! haha Sounds like you are doing great! I miss you...I'll call you so we can chat soon! Love ya!